The Library provides free tech training at a variety of times. View our Tech Training schedule. Sessions last approximately 60 minutes, and are limited to four participants. Sign up at the Information Desk or by calling 847-455-6016, ext. 2. Have a suggestion for a new class? Let us know.
- Intro to Computers - Basic "how to" class covers powering up, logging in, opening programs, moving around, creating, saving and finding files and a review of the QWERTY keyboard and its functions
- Intro to Google Drive - Create a Google account for 15GB of "cloud storage" and learn how to upload and create files on your own secure "drive."
- Intro to Word 2007 - Learn to create documents, insert and edit graphics, and use Microsoft Word templates.
- Intro to Excel 2007 - Assumes basic knowledge of computers and math. Covers vocab, formatting, formulas/fucntions, examples in action.
- Desktop Publishing 101 - Learn how to create simple greeting cards, signs, and other visual projects using Microsoft Publisher.
- Intro to Tablets - Differences between tablet brands, touchscreen gestures, modify settings, WiFi connectivity, app store downloads, and FPPLD Digital Library resources. Will provide assortment of tablets for students to try.
- Intro to Facebook - Find out how to use this popular social networking site to connect with your family and friends.
- Pinterest 101 - Learn how to set up an account and find out the basics of pinning.
- Intro to Goodreads - Learn how to keep track of the books you've read or want to read, find book recommendations, and connect to a world of other book lovers.
- Intro to LinkedIn - Heard about LinkedIn but don't know where to start? Join us for an informative session on what LinkedIn is, how it can help you professionally, and how to get started on this popular social networking site.
- Internet Security - Learn about best practices to maximize your security while browsing the internet. Anti-malware program recommendations, secure online shopping, and password management will be discussed.
Learn at your own pace and anytime with Universal Class, which offers over 40 free courses about computers and software. Go to the Universal Class site, and create an account to get started. (Your Franklin Park library card number and PIN are needed to login from outside the library.) If you'd like a demo or assistance, ask at the Information Desk. Here's a sampling of courses:
- Computer Basics 101
- Internet Fundamentals 101
- Typing and Keyboarding 101
- Windows 7
Intermediate to Advanced
- Digital Photography 101
- Digital Scrapbooking 101
- How to eBay 101
- Internet Specialist 101
- Intro to PC Troubleshooting and Repair
- Social Media 101 (Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin)
- Virus Removal and Protection 101
- Microsoft Excel 2007 & 2010
- Microsoft Access 2010
- Microsoft Project 2007
- Microsoft Publisher 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Office 2007 & 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Quickbooks 101
- Quicken Deluxe 2010
- Adobe Photoshop 101
- Photoshop Elements 101
- Adobe Flash 101
- Dreamweaver 101
- How to Create Web Pages